Common Causes of Home Fires
Home fires can happen at any time, but taking precautions can help save your home for unforeseen fire damages. Although some home fire causes are quite obvious, it’s important to be aware of anything that may cause a fire in your home. Here is a list of common causes of home fires with tips on how to prevent these from happening:
Cooking is the number one cause of home fires. Leaving cooking unsupervised could lead to a disaster. You should never leave food that you are cooking unattended. Always supervise the stove top when cooking and keep the kitchen surfaces free from grease or anything flammable to prevent fires.
During the colder months, heating equipment, like fireplaces or space heaters are among a list of major fire risks in homes. Place heaters at a safe distance away from flammable objects and always supervise them. Do not ever go to sleep or leave the home while a fireplace is going or if space heaters are on. Keep your chimney free of debris and obstructions. Keep your fireplace and chimney well cleaned.
Outdated wiring, breaker boxes, and old appliances are potential threats for a fire. Plugging too many appliances into an extension cord can cause the cords to overheat and start a fire also.
Candle fires are more frequent during holidays, such as Christmas and Halloween. People tend to forget that they have lit a candle. Always make sure to blow out candles before leaving your home. Keep candles away from flammable materials to avoid a fire. Using battery-operated candles instead of real ones is much safer.
Kids Playing with Fire
Some children play with fire out of curiosity, not realizing that it’s very dangerous. Keep lighters and matches away from children. Also, try to avoid using them in front of your children because younger children are very observant and may try to mock what you do. Keep children at a safe distance from the fire place so accidents do not happen.
To help prevent fires in your home, install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and a sprinkler system to ensure the safety of your home. Call your local SERVPRO at (662)-287-7881 with any fire restoration service questions you may have. We are always here to help!