Fireplace Safety Tips
Home fires happen all the time, accidents happen. Most fires in the home come from the chimney and fireplace. These fires are usually caused by failing to clean the chimney regularly or placing objects too close to the fireplace. Here are some tips to learn how to use your fireplace safely this winter:
- Before winter comes, hire a professional to come and inspect and remove obstructions or debris and do a deep cleaning of your chimney.
- Make sure your chimney has a cap at the top to keep unwanted debris or animals out.
- Keep any flammable objects away from the fireplace to avoid accidental fires.
- Make sure there is a fire extinguisher in your home, and that your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are properly working.
- Have a covering over the fireplace to block any sparks or embers from shooting out.
- When starting a fire:
- Remove all ashes from the previous fire before lighting another fire.
- Don’t overload the fireplace with excess wood; a large fire generates more smoke and can damage your chimney.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire and don’t burn any kind of materials in a home fireplace.
- Keep children and pets away from the fireplace to ensure safety.
- Never leave the fireplace burning when going to sleep or leaving the home.
- Always make sure to keep your fireplace and chimney cleaned regularly.
The winter months are upon us and that’s when it’s time to start using home fireplaces again. Following these guidelines above will help ensure the safety of you, your family, and your home. Call your local SERVPRO today at (662)-287-7881 with any fire restoration service questions you may have. We are always here to help!