Protect Your Attic Pipes from Freezing
In states that see cold winters, you never see plumbing pipes in attics, and for good reason. But in the South, it’s not uncommon for homes that are built on a slab foundation to have plumbing systems and pipes in the attics. It’s a logical place to house these key elements of the home, but the gamble is they’ll be safe there. And for the most part, there is never an issue. That is, until that crazy cold system blows through and causes extremely low temperatures.
Have you ever been up to your attic lately? If not, peek your head up there and see what you find.
Insulate any attic pipes that transfer water!
If you look up in your attic and find exposed pipes, you really need to take immediate action. Luckily the cold weather is almost over for a while, so you’ve got some time to protect your home against flooding. Here is what you need to do:
Go to your local home improvement store and buy some pipe insulation material. It’s not very expensive and it’s extremely easy to place over your pipes. Make sure that you don’t leave any area exposed, including joints where sections of pipe connect. So before you go to the store, you need to go up into your attic and take inventory.
In one Saturday’s worth of work, you can end up saving yourself thousands of dollars. Because the reality is if you end up with a burst pipe in your attic due to freezing, the amount of water damage is going to be extensive. Within minutes, water will travel throughout your attic, down your wall cavities and through your ceiling. It can potentially flood every floor of your home within a few minutes.
Have you suffered water damage from a frozen attic pipe?
Give SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka a call
662-287-7881. We're always here to help!!
Black Mold in your Corinth/Iuka Crawlspace
What causes black mold damage in crawlspaces?
What causes black mold levels to become elevated in any environment are the same things, whether it’s in your bathroom vanity or below your home. Listed below are a few things mold needs to grow and expand inside a home is:
(1)The right temperatures
Unfortunately for us, mold is most comfortable in the same temperature range that we find comfortable, but can also thrive in considerably colder temps. And as for food, mold spores love wood. That means the main components of your crawlspace, the floor joists and beams supporting your home, are the perfect food for toxic mold. So where does that leave us? Trying to measure and manage the one factor we can control: moisture. Here’s the main ways moisture enters your crawlspace:
Water pooling in your crawlspace
Most of your crawlspace resides underground. That can be troublesome when you have a water drainage problem outside of your home.
In homes with crawlspaces, there is another potential cause of excess moisture: plumbing pipes. Both the supply lines and drain pipes that service your home’s plumbing systems are housed in this space. So if either develops a small leak, it can lead to a lot of water being dumped into your crawlspace.
Evaporating ground moisture
Depending on where you live your soil is going to naturally hold some moisture. If that is the case, that moisture can evaporate into your crawlspace.
Air from outside coming in through your vents
Your crawlspace needs to breathe. That’s why you’ll notice vents located around your home that allow air to exit your crawlspace. It also allows air to come into your crawlspace. In many cases, the air inside your crawlspace is cooler than the air outside. Cool air can’t hold as much moisture as warmer air, so the moisture trapped in the air turns to liquid as it cools in your crawlspace. Overtime, the moisture can create serious water issues that can allow for black mold growth.
If you suspect black mold in your home give SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka a call today at (662)287-7881
Storm Damage Restoration in your Corinth/Iuka Commerial Building
Storms and inclement weather can be devastating to any business. Wind damage, heavy rain, and flooding can occur suddenly and cause substantial damage in a matter of minutes. There’s never a convenient time for flooding or storm damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
- 24 Hour Emergency Services
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
- A Trusted Leader in the Storm and Water Restoration Industry with over 1,700 Franchises
Commercial Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial storm or water damage emergencies. Regardless of your property type or size, we will respond quickly to clean the property and manage the restoration project through to its completion.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka will respond immediately to the storm or flood event affecting your commercial property, regardless of the size or scope of the damage. We are part of a national network of over 1,700 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed throughout the country to respond to large scale events and disasters.
If you have storm damage to your commercial building give SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka a call today at 662-287-7881!
Confusion and misunderstanding surround the topic of mold and mold remediation. Some restoration businesses even make claims to remove all mold from a building. This is a fallacy. Mold spores occur naturally almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. These microscopic spores float along in the air and can enter a home or business through windows and HVAC systems. Consider these facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If You See Signs of Mold,
Call Us Today – 662-287-7881
Here at SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka, We are always here to help!
SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka will take care of your belongings during a Water Damage
Water damage affects not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka understands that your home is more than a structure; your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home.
SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka specializes in restoring contents damaged by fire, water, or mold. Our expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. We pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including the following:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. A move-out will provide several benefits, including the following:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-back according to your needs.
If You Have Questions or Need Help,
Call SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka Today at 662-287-7881
Call SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka if you have a sewage backup in your home
Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination.
There are three major types of contaminated water. SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka will inspect that contaminated water to determine the type of water and then plan the appropriate response to safely restore your home or business.
The three types of contaminated water:
Category 1: "Clean Water"
This is water from a clean source, such as a broken clean water supply line or faucet. If left untreated, category 1 water can quickly degrade into category 2 or 3 water depending upon such factors as time, temperature, and contact with contaminants.
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: "Gray Water"
This water has a significant level of contamination that could cause discomfort or illness if ingested. Sources for category 2 water may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- May contain bacteria and viruses
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated
Category 3: "Black Water"
This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
24 Emergency Service
Sewage backup should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. We are the water damage restoration specialists with specific training and expertise to safely restore your home or business.
Sewage Backup or Toilet Overflow? Call SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka Today at 662-287-7881
Keep your Kids Safe with these Fire Safety tips
When creating an escape plan in your home, you should go over it with your children so they know how to get out the house. Kids typically don’t think about how they would escape from their home in a fire, so this is an important discussion to have with them.
- Have a plan in place for children that cannot get out on their own, such as infants and toddlers. Talk about which family member is going to wake up the children and help them get out.
- Always identify two different ways out of every room. You should know multiple ways to exit in every room in case one exit is blocked, or it is too dangerous to use.
- Choose a destination outside the house to meet, a safe distance away. This could be across the street, or at a neighbors’ home.
In addition to fire prevention with children, there is the concern of burn prevention. In many instances of fires started by children, serious burn injuries can occur. Here are some tips to help keep your kids safe from fire and burns.
- Children should be at least 3 feet away from anything hot. Stoves, space heaters, and curling irons are all good examples where additional caution is necessary.
- Keep any kind of smoking materials away and placed up high, such as lighters and matches.
- Never play with matches or lighters when your children are around. If they see adults doing this, they will think that it is okay, and possibly even fun.
Accidents can happen at any time. But with some mindful planning, many of these can be completely avoided. If something should still happen, just know that SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka is here to help anytime. Give us a call at 662-287-7881
When Winter Storms hit SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka is there to help!!
Damage from Cold Weather or Winter Storm?
In Corinth/Iuka and surrounding areas, cold weather and ice can cause severe damage to your home or business. When these types of disasters strike, immediate action is necessary to prevent additional damage to your property. SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka has the expertise, and the resources to remediate damage caused by winter weather.
SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka Professionals
- Provide 24/7 Emergency Service
- Faster to Any Size Disaster
Extreme cold weather can cause pipes to freeze and burst. In general, pipes are more likely to freeze when the temperature is below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. The resulting water damage can be extensive. Outdoor pipes and pipes in unheated areas of the home can freeze if they are not properly insulated or if temperatures are severely cold. SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka can quickly and safely repair water damage caused by frozen pipes.
Pipes in unheated or partially heated areas are also at risk of freezing, including:
- Crawl spaces
An ice dam is formed when snow melts unevenly on a roof and refreezes into a dam at the edge of the roof, near the eaves. This dam prevents any further snowmelt from draining off of the roof. This standing water can back up under shingles, leak into a home, and cause significant water damage to ceilings, walls, and other areas. Ice dams can also tear off gutters and loosen shingles.
Snow and ice can cause significant damage to your gutters and roof. The additional weight of snow and ice can even cause a roof to collapse. When there’s a cold snap, water can get into cracks and small spaces and expand when it freezes, causing larger cracks and more damage. The repetition of freezing and thawing cycles can cause small cracks to get larger.
Why Choose a SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka?
- We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster. SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka is dedicated to responding immediately to water emergencies. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces cost.
- We're Highly Trained Water Damage Specialists. SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka specializes in water damage restoration. We have extensive water damage restoration training that helps you get back to normal more quickly.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
Regardless of the Winter Storm, We Can Help! Give us a call at 662-287-7881!
Outdoor Fire Safety for your Corinth/Iuka home
Spring is almost here and that leads to summer.Spring and summer means grilling out and lighting up a fire to sit around once the sun goes down. Here at SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka, we like to take full advantage of the warmer weather! We also love a good cook out, so we move from cooking inside to outside on the grill. While we look forward to this time of year, it is important to keep these fire safety tips in mind.
- Keep at least a three foot clearance around the entire grill. Keep kids and pets clear of this area too!
- Move the grill away from the house and fence, and move it out from underneath any overhangs. Do not use the grill under trees or near shrubbery.
- Regularly clean out the grease traps on your grill to prevent grease fires.
- Never leave your grill unattended!
- If using charcoal, make sure the coals have cooled completely before disposing of them in a metal container.
- Keeping a fire extinguisher or a big box of baking soda in the vicinity is good idea in case a fire does breakout.
- When a burn ban is in effect, use a fire pit, preferably with a lid that can cover the fire in case of an emergency.
- When a burn ban is not in effect, you can burn on the ground where the grass is low and green. Never burn on grass that is long or dry! Take a hose and saturate the area around the fire with water to help prevent it from spreading.
- Drag a hose over to where you’re burning. If you have a sprayer on your hose, turn the water on and keep it on until you’re through with your fire in case of an emergency.
- Never have a fire under trees or overhangs, near shrubbery, or close to the house.
- Keep flammable materials away from fires.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Never have a fire on a windy day!
Here at SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka we are always here to help! If you have any questions on fire safety give our office a call at 662-287-7881!
Hiding Places for Mold in your Corinth/Iuka home
Mold isn’t picky when it comes to its living conditions.
It’s a pretty sturdy fungus and doesn’t require a lot to survive.
In fact, the main ingredient mold needs to live is one very common element—water.
Mold growth in homes can always be traced back to water. Whether it be from an actual water leak or just water from condensation and humidity, mold needs it to grow.
Below are some places you could very easily find mold.
Unless you’ve had a recent leak in your roof after a heavy downpour or particularly rainy season, you probably don’t think of your attic as being a top place for water to puddle.
You know what all attics do have though?
Being at a higher elevation and with little ventilation, humidity can build up in your attic walls and roof and evaporate, leaving behind microscopic droplets.
Throw in some dark areas and mold is ready to thrive.
The basement is the number one spot for mold growth in homes.
Basements, the exact opposite of attics, sit at a much lower elevation and are prone to more of a damp feel.
Usually by the time you see evidence of mold on your walls, it’s been there for a significant amount of time.
Moisture can often seep into tiny crevices in your basement walls and floors and settle there. Even if there isn’t glaring evidence of a water leak or moisture build-up, it’s not a bad idea to give the nooks and crannies of your basement a once over every few months.
Behind Your Ductwork
Ductwork is often a perfect place for moisture buildup and where there’s water, there’s the chance for mold.
Most people don’t think to check behind their furnace and in and around their ductwork for evidence of mold, but it’s one of those hidden places where mold may start to flourish and then get blown throughout the rest of your home.
It’s not directly in anyone’s line of sight on a regular basis, so it’s a good idea for you to check for mold growth. Make it a habit to check for excess moisture each time you change your air filter.
Mold Growth in Homes: What Do I Do?
Mold growth in homes is very common and before you panic it’s important to note that it’s a very solvable problem. If you need professional help with your mold removal, you’re in luck! If you’d like a mold inspection done or have any questions about mold growth in your home, contact SERVPRO of Corinth/Iuka at 662-287-7881. We're always here to help!